USB boot prep tool killed my flash drive

MaximilianKohler

I can't copy any files to the drive. When I plug in the flash drive I get a popup saying that the drive needs to be formatted before it can be used. Most of the time I can't format it (gives errors - cannot format this drive), but even when I'm able to I still can't copy any files to the drive. I get the error "file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". I can't even run chkdsk on the drive.

I've tried a number of programs to fix the drive: flash_repair 2.0, testdisk 6.14, icaredrs from here: http://freeware-fix.blogspot.com/2013/02/pen-drive-unreadable.html

WinToolKit's USB boot prep reads the drive as RAW format, 1 partition, correct size, bootable false, status OK. Running it through the Quick or Full(format) options don't seem to change anything.

Edited by MaximilianKohler

Hmm, I have xp installed on another partition and under xp the drive showed up properly under the disk management and I was able to format it there.

I copied over my finished win7 install onto the drive but it's not bootable so I guess I'll have to find some other way of making it bootable.

If the original error that I got when trying to use WinCert's USB boot tool has to do with win7 or 64 bit there should be a warning. Not everyone might be as lucky to have an xp partition handy.

I guess I'll just stick to installing Windows7-USB-DVD-tool to make my USB bootable.

Edited by MaximilianKohler

You do realize that flash media only has so many write cycles and then they die...right?

Try it on a different machine.

If it's dead, then throw it out (or smash it with a hammer to vent your frustration) and buy another one.  They're cheap now.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

I did read all your posts, and I also thought it sounded like your USB stick was dying, and your thread title kind of implied...  Glad you got it working.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt