[help] install "cab" via WPI

Well all you would have to do is put the *.cab files in a i386 folder, example "%wpipath%\Install\i386" (this stops it from asking where the files are) and use a command to launch the [DefaultInstall] section of the addons *.inf like this:

rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection "%wpipath%\Install\InfFileNameHere.inf",,1

The ",,1" hides the CopyFiles progress bar making it fully silent ;)

LaunchINFSection

The LaunchINFSection function in Advanced INF Installer can be used to launch an advanced INF section using RunDLL32.EXE. This API allows user to use advpack.dll from command line without writing the program.

INT WINAPI LaunchINFSection( HWND hwnd, HINSTANCE hinst, PSTR pszCmdline, INT ishow );

Calling Syntax

rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection inf filename[,section name][,flags][,smart reboot]

INF Filename

INF file pathname you want to launch.

Section Name

INF install section name you want to launch in the INF file.

Flags

Flag Meaning

1 Quiet Mode

2 No GrpConv

Smart Reboot

N No Reboot

A Always Reboot

I Reboot if Needed (default value)

Example:

rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection myinf.inf,,3

This means install myinf.inf with DefaultInstall section in Quiet Mode with no GrpConv, reboot if needed.

ok ricks and kels, it does not work on vista, but i made it work, its so simple, i thought i share it with you guys, so in future you might use this method to install "cab" addons.

this is what i did to make it work.

example to install kels uberpack

1: create a folder and name it, say uberpack

2: extract all the folders and files from the addon to uberpack folder you just created EXCEPT the "CAB"

3: create another folder inside uberpack folder and name it "i386"

4: extract all the files and folder to "i386" the one you just created, from the "cab" inside the "cab" addon

5: now create a another file inside the uberpack folder and save with bat extension "install.bat:

6: edit the "bat" and add the command:

rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection "your info file name.inf",,1

exit

7: thats it done, now just run the install.bat file and it will install it without prompting you to locate "i386" folder. you can also delete the cab folder as it will not be needed with this method.

you can also compress all the files and folders inside the uberpack with winrar and add on the comment section:

Setup=INSTALL.bat

TempMode

Silent=1

Overwrite=1

this will make it more cleaner and easy to use with wpi.

i hope this was helpful to you guys who might want to install cab addons with wpi or on vista.

NOTE: ONLY WORKS WITH THE ADDONS THAT HAS "inf" FILES

Edited by shahed

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...