Optional reinsert of USB drive

Eric666

Hi Lego,

I install my Win7 from a USB stick. To achieve this, I must set it in the BIOS as first hard disk to boot from. After initial installation of Windows 7 (copy/expand files etc) the system must reboot, and I have to remove the USB, otherwise the installation starts over again.

If I'm not directly reinserting the USB stick again after the reboot I will get the W7T message: Cannot find installation source. W7T is now exiting. The only option is clicking OK, and there you are just having a semi-completed installation.

My request is: add the option to reinsert the USB stick at this point, so the post installation stuff can continue (registry, tweaks, addons etc).

Note this is just a minor nuisance, I could always change the boot order after first reboot, but if like with me, most of the installation is unattended and you're doing something else somewhere else meanwhile, the requested feature is very convenient.

Otherwise, compliments for the fast development of a real winner tool. I've started checking it out last month and I'm impressed!

Regards, Eric666

The secret is to NOT change boot order, permanently, in the first place. Leave it to boot from C:\ as usual. When you want to install from USB, at the very beginning of the process, do whatever your BIOS option is for you to TEMPORARILY boot from USB, ie just that one time only, Then once it gets going you can leave it alone unattended, because subsequent boots will be back from C:\ so installation will continue and the USB will still be available for post installation stuff.

So I don't think this request needs to be filled.

Cheers and Regards

Yes bphlpt, I see where you are going... if only my laptop had this hotkey for selecting the boot device when starting up, there would be no trouble at all ;-) But since it is not there I have to fool around with the permanent boot sequence order in the bios. Anyway, the worst thing happening now is that the installation from USB starts again, but because the target drive has to be selected first (I know, this can also be unattended if configured), I can cancel it there, and the automatic reboot thereafter will take me back to the startup where I can enter the bios and restore the normal boot order.

Cheers, Eric666

Lego, I agree with bphlpt, this situation will not often happen and as stated, the workaround is clear. So this request has low priority and may be closed.

What your laptop model, i.e. mine is HP dv9930us.

I was thinking of adding a dialog where you can browse for the USB stick if W7TRunOnce can't find the right drive. Although to be honest it should automatically detect your installation files if you keep the USB drive in and have the correct layout even if you change the boot order :s

So just for confirmation, what is the layout of your USB pen?

'W7TRunOnce was written in VB. NET
For Each drv In My.Computer.FileSystem.Drives
If File.Exists(drv.Name & "sources\install.wim") And Directory.Exists(drv.Name & "Apps") Then IDrive = drv.Name
Next

As long as your USB stick is plugged in and there is X:\sources\install.wim and X:\Apps\\ folder it should work.

Edited by Legolash2o

Mine is an oldy, Asus A7K back from 2007. The BIOS options of this one are very limited, so it seems.

The dialog for browse/insert media now is exactly what I had in mind. This way the first step of the fresh W7 installation can be done, the stick can be removed when the first reboot takes place. Afterwards, the USB stick only has to be inserted when asked for, so the new windows 7 installation will not start anew after the occasional next reboot.

Thanks for considering implementing, but no harm done if it takes too much time.

Cheers, Eric666

OMG! I really feel like an idiot now.... when booting the laptop, somewhere on the screen it says press ESC to enter BBS. In all these years I've just ignored it. OK, it just flashes by at high speed, but still... Guess what it gives access to? Indeed, the desired boot order. Meaning, bphlpt's advice in post#4 is exactly what has to be done and is also possible. Also meaning my request can be closed whatsoever... I'm feeling somewhat embarrassed....

Anyway, Lego, if you want to continue this, indeed my USB stick layout is as you would expect: a full copy of the W7T-ed folder, including the \sources and \Apps folders in the root. The stick itself has been prepared using W7T USB prepare ;-)

Regards,

Eric666 (in embarrassed state)