A lovely discussion...

Etz

The dust is seriously being shaken from my brain now lol... no reel to reel but I do have a box of vintage 1/4" home videos my father made about 45 years ago... luckily the player still works and we viewed a few of them recently ...on a side note the rubber bands that were around the tapes were still in perfect pliable condition after all that time... I don't even understand that!!!

Yes, but do you have any reel's of tape you can't play anymore? - http://en.wikipedia...._tape_recording - I have an old Ampex unit that would work just fine if I could find a new belt for it and of course tape, which you can't find either. Because of the higher tape speed and the wider tape, Reel to reel recorders produced higher quality recordings than either 8-track or cassette tape. (Wider frequency range, higher signal-to-noise, increased dynamic range, and less distortion.) Editing with a razor blade was a real pain, however.

Cheers and Regards