win7 sp1 oem disks work?

schmibble

Please pardon this total noooob question. I searched for "oem branded disk" and then just "oem" but neither yielded a single result--which I have to believe is a mistake, since this question has got to be fairly common.

I've got an older Dell. It's at the point that I could now use new drivers almost across the board, so I thought hey, why not kill two birds with one stone and reduce some of the installation size at the same time--and there's a lot of gunk clogging up the machine because I'm an inveterate freeware experimenter, so a complete wipe would do a body good. I've got everything important backed up so an installation with some kind of slipstreaming program, integrating drivers and removing the stuff I don't want, seems like a good way to go. However, my windows 7 disk is an oem branded Dell disk, and it has sp1 integrated, so vLite won't work with it unless I jump through a bunch of extra hoops; and because it's oem, rt7 won't work with it at all. I took a look at the Buclean forums and they're about as active as a snake in winter, so there would be little support there in a jam. Ergo, the win toolkit looks like the best option, especially since I'm not a removal fanatic, just want to take out a few things I never use like the media stuff (I use VLC for everything) and IE (I _am_ a Firefox fanatic), a few others. But before taking the plunge into the toolkit, I do need to know if it'll work with my disk; if not, I guess I'll have to deal with the tedium of updating drivers one by one, tolerating the items I'd like to discard, and living with a bloated registry.

Thanks.

I assume the OP has a COA on his old Dell-machine; anyway he has an OEM-disk (not Dell-recovery) and he will need the key too.

Yes, I have the fancy metallic-colored sticker (I guess that's the COA) and the product key, so I assume that all should be in order. Thx much.