dirty disk

Jaanvi

i want to know is there any software for removing dirty disk bits for the hard disk.

I usually format my each drive by copying my data from one drive to another drive and then format it individually and paste back the data to that drive.

So isn't CHKDSK sufficient?  I don't know of any other general-purpose free tool available to fully check a disk and possibly correct errors found or mark block that have errors that are not correctable.  There might be manufacturer specific tools available for specific brands of drives.  Maybe others are aware of something else.  Lets us know if you find anything.

Cheers and Regards

Sorry, but I still don't understand your problem.  Do you want that behavior or not?  If chkdsk runs at every boot, then you must have set it up to do that.  Did you?  If you don't want it to happen any more, then can't you stop it from happening?  I'm confused.

Cheers and Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the procedure

First click Start> Run> and bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and then type "fsutil dirty query d:" <drive letter as your requirement C: or whtsoever> but without the quotes. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck

Reference from

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-clear-dirty-bit-t112220.html