Building a new Computer.....

*Reaper*

Ok everyone.....

I'm about to start the process of buildning a new puter......

Will be building from the ground up.... My old puter will be going

to work with me... So I will need to get EVERYTHING......

Would like suggestions on what you think I should include

and where to get the items......

I am planning on spending $1500.00 - $2000.00......

Would prefer to purchase everything from the same place (online)....

But thats not required......

So everybody start positing.....

x64 bit or not, crossfire or not, intel or amd, etc...........

All components need to be addressed......

Thanks for everyone taking the time to help me out.....

I would have to agree with N1K. I have built a similar system.

Intel® Core2 Quad @ 2.40GHz

Asus P5BW-LA

2 x 320g

1 x 200g

3g DDR2-SDRAM PC2-5300

WinTV-HVR-1600

NVIDIA GeForce 7350 LE

EarthWatts 500 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply

Edited by LUZR4LIFE

I respectfully disagree. Most of it I agree with except for the Intel part. I'm not going to say that AMD is better like all the AMD geeks claim, instead I'll tell you why I build 96% AMD. Does anyone remember way back before AMD created the x64 cpu (this is even before the Athlon XP)? Do you remember what Intel charged for their Pentium class cpu's? AMD was the company that directly changed Intel's pricing by offering at the time a superior product for a fraction of the price. If a lot of us don't support AMD, Intel is going to slip back into the old rut that Microsoft is in which is to charge a lot more than necessary just because they can. Now back on topic. I recommend an AMD processor even if it's just a dual core. Here is a link to a 5600+ that should meet or exceed all of your expectations from a cpu. The motherboard to go with it is a personal preference. Biostar seems to be the best that I sell. MSI is also a top seller. PC Chips sell extremely cheap boards if you don't mind flashing the bios. I've flashed 9 via a cdrom and none went bad. Not bad for something you shouldn't do. They do have about a 4 second boot delay that is unexplained though. The rest of the features you may or may not want are all in the motherboard as well. I suggest finding a board with 2 PATA and at least 4 SATA. This gives you pleanty of expansion. Also buy a case that supports anything you may do in the future. If you plan to put in 2 cdrom drives, 2 ATA drives and 4 SATA drives, be sure you have enough bays.

Thanks to everyone for their comments so far....

Question for N1K.....

Since the board you mentioned is crossfire ready, any reason you choose

a geforce sli card instead of a crossfire card?

Just curious....

Oh.. By the way... This is what I've come up with so far....

B52-7874 :: BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC2 / 640MB GDDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / DL Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card

CP1-DUO-Q6600 :: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor BX80562Q6600 - 2.40GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan

A455-2368 :: Asus P5E Motherboard - Intel X38, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID

C13-6074 :: Corsair XMS2 DHX 4096MB Dual Channel PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory ( 4 x 1024MB)

Any comments on what I have so far would be appreciated....

Now for the PSU.... What would you rec. as a min. watt???

Edited by Makave2345

I would definitely choose Corsair VX550W, it's cheap with 5 year warranty.

Some 600 Watt PSU's would not be enough to run with one 8800GT or 8800GTS. It depends on how good the PSU is and the Amps on the +12V rail are very good.

If you plan to use SLI, the GPU power requirements of the 8800GT's in SLi are 183W (Idle) and 358W (Load In F.E.A.R.) and ~38Amps on the +12V Rail.

To clarify, that's total system power consumption. The 8800GT itself only uses about 110-120W of power each at max load.

A Q6600 is another 100W or so. The rest of this system will take about another 150W total in a worst-case scenario, so ideally you're really going to use about 370W of power in a worst-case scenario unless you overclocks the heck out of that CPU/Video Card.

Since that's about 80% on the +12V rail, you're going to need something with at least 32-35A on the +12V rail, and the VX550 should be perfect.

You never want to load the PSU to 100% load because the fan will be spinning up too fast and loud and the components' lifespans will be shortened by running near their capacity. But 3/4 of the max load is fine, and at idle I imagine you'll use only 1/3 of that, or about 10-12A on the +12V.

I will first answer your question about MBO and SLi.

I chose Asus since I had Asus P4C800Deluxe MBO with my old system (which I sold now). I was more than satisfied with it and it was stable for 4 years along with OC of P4.

Asus P5E has a new x38 chipset and supports PCIE 2.0 While I was deciding what to choose for my PC, I planned that I'll go SLi sometime in the future, but decided that I won't after all.

The main reason is that GPU industry is developing very fast and I'd rather buy a new card in one year than buy another OLD card to have SLI. The question is to whom will I sell that 2 cards after two years.. (That's just my opinion).

So, I won't use SLi and that's why I didn't care will my board support SLi.

For instance, and to comment your selection of graphic card, I bought XFX 8800GTS, 640 MB card and was happy for one day although I didn't unpack it yet. I've found out that a new 8800GT was out the other day, which was 150$ cheaper, faster and better than my 8800GTS..

Here are some links that should help you choose 8800GT instead of 8800GTS:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia...nce/default.asp

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140&p=1

http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/Nvidia_GeF...iew/5369-1.html

http://www.hothardware.com/articles/NVIDIA..._Flight/?page=1