PC Complete Cleanup

NIM

Hey fellas,

I've just opened my PC case, for the first time since I bought it, so approximately 6 months.

Although I have Thermaltake Kandalf case which uses dust filters, it was still very dusty inside.

After I've vacumed the dust from coolers, I've used compressed air to blow away the dust inside the box.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you guys, how often do you clean your PC box and do you dismantle every piece of it before you start with cleaning..

How often do you change your processor cooling paste?

Do you clean your memory connectors with a rubber eraser?

If you have any useful information regarding this, please reply :)

Hey fellas,

I've just opened my PC case, for the first time since I bought it, so approximately 6 months.

Although I have Thermaltake Kandalf case which uses dust filters, it was still very dusty inside.

After I've vacumed the dust from coolers, I've used compressed air to blow away the dust inside the box.

That is cool but be careful when doing that if you are using vacume cleaner, specially keep an eye on jumpers cause I remember that some of old mbos have very loose contacts between jumpers and pins. New mbos keep them tight but still keep an eye on it if you are using strong vacume cleaner.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you guys, how often do you clean your PC box and do you dismantle every piece of it before you start with cleaning..

How often do you change your processor cooling paste?

Every six months if you have you comp powered on for long period each day.

Also keep in mind when you change thermal paste. It need some time to settle down and reach it's full potential.

Do you clean your memory connectors with a rubber eraser?

No need to do that (specially if you have no intentions to pull out your memory sticks) just dust away memory slots gently. :)

That is how I do things. I also change thermal pad on my graphic card and dismantle every case fan and wipe dust from it. I usually take some time (afternoon) and do things right. It's note easy job but comp runs cooler and more quietly thus you feel good when you complete your cleaning ;)

I use the compressed air can (always holding it straight) with all my cards connected so I can be sure no dust particles will remain inside the connectors, after that I take out the CPU cooler to clean it using this, and reapply this, otherwise, I use simple nail remover (hidden from GF).

I agree with Mr. Gorki, every six months I think is a good period to wait to change thermal pastes.

The waiting time for the paste to settle, in my case, is 5 days, so I do a cleanup when I know I won't be using the PC for a couple of days.

I don't take out the video card cooler because it is too old to generate any considerable amount of heat (Radeon All In Wonder 9800, hehe), but I do blow it with the air can.

Only when I know I won't be needing the air can again inside of the case is when I take out the cards and fans to clean them. I don't use air filters because I put the case on top of my desk, and there it doesn't accumulate a lot of dust.

I've never heard about that rubber eraser trick on the RAM neither....

Edited by Rhor

I would say 6 months is good for thermal paste and for me I change my liquid in my cooling system, I actually just redid my system this weekend.

Did some upgrades, new thermal paste on CPU GPU and Northbridge, SB should be fine. My system gets very dusty, I would say it needs cleaning out more than every 6 months.

Never heard the eraser trick either, wonder if it is really necessary ?

Thatnks for starting this topic N1K. I clean mine about every 4-6 months myself, unless I see that it needs to be cleaned ( it's nice having a clear door :D ) I need to clean mine bad right now. Due to the Full remodel to the bathroom, which is on the other side of the wall, my case is full of dust and drywall dust. I should be done mudding and sanding soon, so I will clean it then.

I normally use compressed air for the case, cards and heat sink. I also then put my fans and heat sink in water and wipe them down, then use compressed air to dry them up. I am not one for always changing the Therm. which I plan on doing this next clean. Is there a correct wait time when changing the Therm.? Whenn I was in school, we would fire our PC's up right after putting it on.

Notsure if anyone elses does it but when I do my cleaning, I also take a part my DVD burners and blow them out and replace the bands when need.

once a week:

-LCD screen cleaning gel to clean hi-def laptop monitor

every few months or so:

-blow compressed air into fans to clean dust, then keyboard

-mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water used to clean keyboard and case

-CD/DVD laser lens cleaning disk, to brush off anything that might be on the lens

once a year, or less:

-open up laptop, check thermal compound on CPU and GPU and replace as necessary

once WINE and Cedega have matured:

-Slackware!!!