[Fixed] Laptop had tea over it.

Guest snakecracker

Guest snakecracker

hi

my mums laptop has just had a cup of tea over it and now i tried to take it apart but idon't have the right tools to open it.

its a newish modal from HP if you look at 'My Specs' under Laptop 2 it would tell you most of the hardware inside

but is there a way to tell if it still works?????

cause she needs to know

i have a feeling that it is broken but she needs to know but i said i can't turn it on or it will fri the motherboard

and i can't tell if it has gone to the motherboard or not.

when i opened the memory bay it had bits of tea inside but not alot were the keyboard has most of tea over it.

thank you very much :D

I've fixed it

Well, you can bring it up to me and I'll fix it.

Or, if you can take it apart, it's important to clean off the sugar residue (I assume she drinks 'proper' tea with milk & sugar). Get some isopropyl alcohol from a chemist and go over all the affected components with a soaked cotton cloth (old shirt), then dry with a hair dryer.

It's vital that everything is DRY as well as clean before you turn it on.

Guest snakecracker
Well, you can bring it up to me and I'll fix it.

Or, if you can take it apart, it's important to clean off the sugar residue (I assume she drinks 'proper' tea with milk & sugar). Get some isopropyl alcohol from a chemist and go over all the affected components with a soaked cotton cloth (old shirt), then dry with a hair dryer.

It's vital that everything is DRY as well as clean before you turn it on.

where abouts you live?

and i can't take it apart i tried.

from what i know so far is that the keyboard was covered by most of the tea as well as the touchpad. but i have dryed as much as i can

and i might go over it with a hair dryer

Guest snakecracker
I live near Cambridge.

All notebooks come apart. They're like jigsaw puzzles though. ;)

What make/model notebook? I'll send you disassembly instructions, if I can.

HP G7000

and yer i know i took my laptop apart to bypass my BIOS system had to take one part off to take the other off lol

thanks

Edited by snakecracker

Guest snakecracker
snakecracker, your disassembly instructions are here (pdf)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01301275.pdf

If you still are not comfortable with this, PM me and you can get the notebook to me and I'll fix it.

ok thanks mate ill try but my mum is going down PC world to see if they will be able to do it.

and i should be getting my tools today as im startying to build my own computer.

No problem. :)

You may need some Torx (star) screwdrivers. Some HP are like that.

Don't be afraid to use the alcohol liberally on non-moving parts (circuit cards, chassis, etc.). In some cases, you can submerge the parts (keyboard) in alcohol and soak them to get the really sticky stuff off (like chocolate or jam...don't ask!). Just be careful around things with bearings (fans, drives) or LCD screens or touchpads. They don't react to well to liquids.

Any problems, just PM me.

Guest snakecracker
No problem. :)

You may need some Torx (star) screwdrivers. Some HP are like that.

Don't be afraid to use the alcohol liberally on non-moving parts (circuit cards, chassis, etc.). In some cases, you can submerge the parts (keyboard) in alcohol and soak them to get the really sticky stuff off (like chocolate or jam...don't ask!). Just be careful around things with bearings (fans, drives) or LCD screens or touchpads. They don't react to well to liquids.

Any problems, just PM me.

Thank You sooo Much mate. :D

my mum has got warranty and i took it apart and found the motherboard was covered in tea so its pretty much a goner.

thanks for your help.

i took it apart and found the motherboard was covered in tea so its pretty much a goner.

Actually, unless the system was on at the time, you'd be surprised what abuse a notebook can take before it's a "goner".

But because it's under warranty, you might be better off getting it serviced properly. This is one of the reasons I talk people into buying the 'accidental damage/extended warranty' on notebooks (and only notebooks!)

Thank You sooo Much mate. :D

my mum has got warranty and i took it apart and found the motherboard was covered in tea so its pretty much a goner.

thanks for your help.

Liquids arent that damaging you know, unless it fried on contact with the liquid you can pretty much dry that baby out and get it going

I have dropped cellphones in salt water, and even a TV got wet in a hurricane then I dried them out and they work fine still

You can use another liquid to thin the tea and then a hair dryer or the sun to dry it out

You gotta be kidding we're lucky if we see the sun more than twice a year in the UK :D

LOL :D

That's OK, Rick is nowhere near the UK. He doesn't understand what little sun we put up with up here! ;)

But he's right, as long as the liquids used don't leave a residue, they're fine. I myself fixed a buddy's notebook where his kid spilled a full glass of milk on it (while it was on!)

Luckily, he managed to turn it off in time and the keyboard caught the majority of it. I bought two full bottles of isopropyl alcohol and submerged the whole thing (minus the drives/LCD) and you could see all the milk bubbling to the top. After drying, it was good as new (better actually, once I got the strawberry jam out of the keys!)

Good luck mate!

Guest snakecracker
LOL :D

That's OK, Rick is nowhere near the UK. He doesn't understand what little sun we put up with up here! ;)

But he's right, as long as the liquids used don't leave a residue, they're fine. I myself fixed a buddy's notebook where his kid spilled a full glass of milk on it (while it was on!)

Luckily, he managed to turn it off in time and the keyboard caught the majority of it. I bought two full bottles of isopropyl alcohol and submerged the whole thing (minus the drives/LCD) and you could see all the milk bubbling to the top. After drying, it was good as new (better actually, once I got the strawberry jam out of the keys!)

Good luck mate!

LOL

we don't get much sun at all now!

all we ever see is dark and boring weather lol

and thank you, all of you.

i don't think ill be this good if i didn't join this site.!

well the laptop is out of my hands and is being taken back to Where ever she got the thing!

lol

now time to build my Own Computer..... :D:D:D :thumbsup_anim:

Guest snakecracker
Please don't post English topics in the Turkish forum anymore.

was this post in the turkish forum??

sorry if it was :blush:

Edited by snakecracker