Installing Motherboard

blackace

Hi everyone. I'm planning to buy a new motherboard because my pc's motherboard doesn't have a pci-e slot and there's no agp8x videocard available in our market right now. I've read on some websites that electro static wrist strap is important when constructing a new pc. I will only buy a motherboard which is LGA 775 socket because my old motherboard is also using that socket. Is it a good idea that i will wrap my fingers with electrical tape as an alternate method using the electro static wrist strap because there is no electro static wrist strap available in our market.... another thing is that, can i use the old devices in my motherboard? such as DDR2 RAM, HDD, COMBO CD WRITER, PCI MODEM.. The motherboard that i will buy is just similar to my old but it has pci-e and it is new but it is still DDR2, ATX, and LGA 775 Socket.... Can i still use my old cpu? it's expensive to buy a new cpu.. Sir N1K and to all Members, I need your help..THANK YOU VERY MUCH :) :welcome: :thumbsup_anim: :sweatingbullets:

btw, here's the spec for my old motherboard:

CPU

LGA775 socket for latest Intel Core 2 Duo / Pentium D / Pentium 4 / Celeron D processor

FSB 1066/800/533 MHz

Support Hyper-Threading Technology

CHIPSET

VIA® P4M800Pro & VT8237R+

North Bridge: VIA® P4M800Pro

South Bridge: VIA® VT8237R+

GRAPHICS

Integrated S3 UniChrome 2D/3D Graphics

MEMORY

2 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket support up to 2 GB

Support DDR2 533 DDR2 SDRAM

EXPANSION SLOT

1 x AGP 8X slot

3 x PCI slots

1 x CNR slot

STORAGE

Supported by VIA VT8237R+

4 x Ultra DMA133/100/66 devices

2 x Serial ATA devices

RAID0 & RAID1 configuration

AUDIO

Realtek ALC655 6-Channel audio CODEC

Compliant with AC'97 2.3 specification

LAN

VIA® VT6103L 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet PHY

REAR PANEL I/O

1 x PS/2 keyboard & PS/2 mouse connectors

1 x Parallel port (LPT)

1 x Serial port (COM1)

1 x VGA port

4 x USB ports

1 x RJ45 LAN connector

1 x Audio port (Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in)

INTERNAL I/O CONNECTORS & HEADERS

1 x 24-pin ATX Power Supply connector

1 x 4-pin ATX 12V connector

1 x FDD connector

2 x IDE connectors

2 x Serial ATA connectors

2 x USB 2.0 headers support additional 4 USB Ports

1 x Buzzer

1 x IrDA for SIR header

1 x Front panel switch/LED header

1 x Front panel audio header

AUX-in header

1 x CD in header

CPUFAN/SYSFAN connectors

SYSTEM BIOS

AMI BIOS with 4Mb Flash ROM

Supports Plug and Play 1.0A, APM 1.2, Multi Boot, DMI

Supports ACPI revision 1.0 specification

FORM FACTOR

Micro-ATX Size, 244mm*220mm

the spec of the motherboard that i will buy:

CPU

LGA775 socket for Intel Pentium 4/ Celeron D/ Pentium D processor

FSB 1066/800/533 MHz

Support Hyper-Threading Technology

CHIPSET

Intel® 945P & ICH7R

North Bridge: Intel® 945P

South Bridge: Intel® ICH7R

MEMORY

Dual-channel DDR2 memory architecture

4 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket support up to 4 GB

Support DDR2 667/533/400 DDR2 SDRAM

EXPANSION SLOT

2 x PCI Express x16 slots

2 x PCI Express x16 slot (Orange : x16 mode, Blue : x4 mode)

1 x PCI Express x1 slot *

2 x PCI Express x1 slot (x1 or *diabled mode)

3 x PCI slots

*when use two PCI Express VGA card, this slot is disable

STORAGE

Supported by Intel®ICH7R

2 x Ultra DMA100/66 devices

4 x Serial ATAII 3.0Gb/s devices

RAID0, RAID1, RAID0+1, RAID5 configuration

Supported by SiI3132

2 x Serial ATAII 3.0Gb/s devices

RAID0, RAID1& e-SATA configuration

AUDIO

Realtek ALC880 8-channel audio CODEC

IEEE 1394a

VIA® VT6307, support 2x IEEE1394a ports

DUAL LAN

Marvell 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit LAN controller

Realtek RTL8100C 10/100 LAN controller

REAR PANEL I/O

1 x PS/2 keyboard & PS/2 mouse connectors

4 x USB ports

2 x RJ45 LAN connectors

1 x 1394a connector (4-pin)

1 x SPDIF in connector

1 x Serial port (COM1)

1 x FAN Duct

1 x Audio port (Line-in,4x Line-out, SPDIF out)

INTERNAL I/O CONNECTORS & HEADERS

1 x 24-pin ATX Power Supply connector

1 x 4-pin ATX 12V connector

1 x FDD connector supports two 360K~2.88MB FDDs

1 x IrDA for SIR header

1 x Speaker header

1 x 1394a header

2 x USB 2.0 headers support additional 4 USB Ports

6 x Serial ATA 3Gb/s connectors

1 x Front panel switch/LED header

1 x Front panel audio header

1 x CD in header

CPUFAN/NB_FAN/3x SYSFAN connectors

SYSTEM BIOS

AMI BIOS with 4Mb Flash ROM

Supports Plug and Play 1.0A, APM 1.2, Multi Boot, DMI

Supports ACPI revision 1.0 specification

FORM FACTOR

ATX Size, 305mm*244mm

Edited by blackace

Links to the motherboard spec sheets would be more useful. Or just the specific names and model numbers so we could Google them ourselves. Some motherboards are very specific about the processors and memory that can be used. This information is absolutely necessary when swapping parts. ;)

Your old and new mobo are both LGA775 so the CPU will be a easy swap, both mobos support 533 so RAM is fine. You can use a static strap if you want to, I don't use them personally. As long as you ground yourself out your fine. You can ground your self out by touching anything metal in the case.

Your old and new mobo are both LGA775 so the CPU will be a easy swap, both mobos support 533 so RAM is fine. You can use a static strap if you want to, I don't use them personally. As long as you ground yourself out your fine. You can ground your self out by touching anything metal in the case.

Neither do I. Just have a seat on the floor and touch you case ALOT (I try to keep one hanf on it all the time) and you'll be fine....

Neither do I. Just have a seat on the floor and touch you case ALOT (I try to keep one hanf on it all the time) and you'll be fine....

Yeah, I kind of leave my forearm on the case. I had to use the straps when I was in school and I personally think they get in the way. In school I did a tear down and build in 16 minutes. LOL. For 3 months (Hardware Semester) we had to tear down and build our system every morning. It got so boring.

Yeah, I kind of leave my forearm on the case. I had to use the straps when I was in school and I personally think they get in the way. In school I did a tear down and build in 16 minutes. LOL. For 3 months (Hardware Semester) we had to tear down and build our system every morning. It got so boring.

thanks for the replies guys. well this will be my first time to install a motherboard on my own because I'm only looking forward to the pci-e feature of the motherboards and its similarity specs with my old "mobo".. What will be the bad effects of transferring the parts of my old MOBO to the new MOBO like the processor, cpu fan, hard disk, ram, cd drives, modems etc.. what problems will i perhaps encounter? I also want to ask to some of you who already bought mobo on their own, Does new MOBO includes thermal cooling paste? if not, where is it included? is it necessary to apply new thermal cooling to the new MOBO? or i just install it as normal? :thumbsup_anim: :welcome: :sweatingbullets:

The only time you will get thermal paste is when you buy a new CPU or heatsink. You will have to purchase that separate. Everything is pretty much just plug and play. A couple things to look out for is watch how you but your RAM and CPU in, they do only go in one way. On the CPU look for a little arrow in the corner of the CPU, there will also be a little arrow on the CPU socket. With the RAM, just make sure that the notch on the RAM lines up with the notch in the slot before you push down. There are several videos online.

Edited by LUZR4LIFE

The only time you will get thermal paste is when you buy a new CPU or heatsink. You will have to purchase that separate. Everything is pretty much just plug and play. A couple things to look out for is watch how you but your RAM and CPU in, they do only go in one way. On the CPU look for a little arrow in the corner of the CPU, there will also be a little arrow on the CPU socket. With the RAM, just make sure that the notch on the RAM lines up with the notch in the slot before you push down. There are several videos online.

thank you for this videos it helps a lot.. what about my cpu? will i encounter overheating because I didn't apply thermal cooling paste? It's Pentium D...

thank you for this videos it helps a lot.. what about my cpu? will i encounter overheating because I didn't apply thermal cooling paste? It's Pentium D...

Yes, it will overheat, you must use a thermal paste. If there is no thermal paste the heatsink will not pull all of the heat from the CPU.

Yes, it will overheat, you must use a thermal paste. If there is no thermal paste the heatsink will not pull all of the heat from the CPU.

:thumbsup_anim: well, all your tips really helps.. I'm going to start buying

a new motherboard and thermal cooling paste, that's what I need for now.. When I'm holding the new Motherboard and my Old CPU, I must put my other hand to the metal case in order to discharge the static electricity, right? :icon_cool:

An ESD wrist strap would cost you maybe $1 and is very handy to have. I keep one in my repair bag.

I used to just grow a third arm, but I got strange looks so I got the ESD strap. ;)

The main thing to remember with ESD is that the voltage potentials must be equalized BEFORE you touch the items. So keep all your parts on the same surface, don't move around too much, and try to rest your arm on a metal casing (that's grounded) at all times. It's awkward, but works. And always handle the items by their edges. NEVER touch exposed connectors, EVEN WHEN GROUNDED!