Change default theme?

Er1ch

I noticed that removing the non-Aero themes causes Windows to set the old Cairo-style interface as default.

I also understand that it's no longer possible to set default theme in Autounattend.xml.

So I was wondering if someone here knows a way to set my own integrated custom theme as default?

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. You can't use XML to set Windows to use your integrated theme, only to create a new theme.

As explained by Rick here and by M$ here.

The only solution Google says should work is using Group Policy as described here and here, but I don't know if it's any good for a standalone computer. :huh:

The setting has already been deprecated by MS, see in the chm. Now Autounattend.xml can't change the default theme, though you can apply window color, desktop background, screen saver and brand icon with the help of autounattend.xml.

<Themes>
<ThemeName>Fabrikam Theme</ThemeName>
<DefaultThemesOff>false</DefaultThemesOff>
<DesktopBackground>%WINDIR%\web\wallpaper\fabrikam.jpg</DesktopBackground>
<BrandIcon>%programfiles%\Fabrikam\fabrikam-logo.png</BrandIcon>
<ScreenSaver>Bubbles.scr</ScreenSaver>
<WindowColor>Violet</WindowColor>
</Themes>

This example would make a theme file combining wallpaper, brand icon, screen saver and window color and would put that file in the themes folder of resources, that is all, we can't apply msstyle with the help of autounattend.xml.

Edited by nice_guy75

Hmm, theres probable a registry entry somewhere, i'm going to move this to the requests forum so i can add a way to make a default theme via W7T.

i am not sure but i think this is the place to change the default theme is one of this...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes]

or

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes]

Edited by abuodwan007

• 3 weeks later...

Please add an option to set a custom theme as default theme. I have tried almost all the methods of xml and none of them is working, at the most we can make a custom theme using window color, background image, branding icon and theme name that is all but we can't apply msstyle it will be default only.

I know Ben has successfully integrated this option in his tool, I am sure you can also integrate this. Please do consider this request.

Secondly, if you can add GUI for DISM that would also be great. I know there is tool called GDISM by ELDI but if you add this GUI in toolkit, your tool would be more helpful for people like me.

Edited by Legolash2o