Sandisk Extreme 3.0 32GB can't go on at install destination?

x23piracy

Stimpy can be correct. One way i found to solve this problem is to create some unallocated space in the drive(150 mb or more). 

It's a good question.  I also own the same drive, and have the same issue with it.

I have a feeling that the controller in the stick is slow at initializing, and is simply not fast enough for Windows Setup.  If you watch the USB stick when Windows is setting up, you can see that it's being initialized, (just before setup asks what drive you want to install Windows on) as my mouse and keyboard also disconnect and reconnect at the same time.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant create unalocated space in the Hard disk or SSD of the PC not in the usb drive,

First do a back up all the data(if there is any)

Resize an existing partition

I use EASEUS Partition Master 9.1.1 Professional Edition

There are many free apps that can do it  http://www.partition-tool.com/

I never tried partitioning a USB stick

Edited by amaltom61

I meant create unalocated space in the Hard disk or SSD of the PC not in the usb drive,

First do a back up all the data(if there is any)

Resize an existing partition

I use EASEUS Partition Master 9.1.1 Professional Edition

There are many free apps that can do it  http://www.partition-tool.com/

I never tried partitioning a USB stick

Ahh I see,

Well I use an SSD, and have always under-partitioned it, so to have better performance.  And I can tell you that I still get the error during Windows setup.

Hi,

this is nothing else then another dirty workaround.

I also thougth you ment the usb stick, if this will be a one time change always creating

a unallocated space partition for every system gonna be installed is more work then pulling the stick refreshing, put it in refresh again and go on.

Greetz X23

never tried partitioning a USB stick

Even though you weren't talking about that, I don't know why it wouldn't work.  I've reformatted them before, Fat32 and NTFS.

OK, I went looking for references.  Yes you can do it, but it seems it is not as easy to do as I thought, at least for everyone.  Some folks say the standard built-in Windows 7 tools do it automatically, some say they don't.  I still haven't tried it, since I don't have a USB stick available to partition at the moment.  Some references say that that you need to flip the USB removable bit so that Windows will see the stick as a fixed drive before you can partition it.  I also found  two different tutorials or how to partition a USB stick here and here.  So, yes, one way or another it can be done.

Cheers and Regards

Even though you weren't talking about that, I don't know why it wouldn't work. I've reformatted them before, Fat32 and NTFS.

OK, I went looking for references. Yes you can do it, but it seems it is not as easy to do as I thought, at least for everyone. Some folks say the standard built-in Windows 7 tools do it automatically, some say they don't. I still haven't tried it, since I don't have a USB stick available to partition at the moment. Some references say that that you need to flip the USB removable bit so that Windows will see the stick as a fixed drive before you can partition it. I also found two different tutorials or how to partition a USB stick here and here. So, yes, one way or another it can be done.

Cheers and Regards

Yeah, I have looked in to this a while ago. And found that you cannot partition this USB stick. It needs to be seen by the system as a fixed drive, but for whatever reason, Sandisk are not interested in helping their customers out with this, as it is a simple change to the drives firmware, like you described. There is a rumour going round that Sandisk are going to realease an updated firmware that will make this drive compatible with Windows To Go, and turn it into a fixed disk. I think that's unlikely, but you never know!

Have a look here, it seems Sandisk support simply does not care.

Edited by Stimpy

Hi,

Have a look here, it seems Sandisk support simply does not care.

yes this is my thread at they still dont interested to say anything.

In future i give a .... on sandisk!

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Sandisk,what about a statement to this problem?Don't you like your customers?

Greetz X23

Edited by x23piracy

Hi,

we have an answer but a lazy one, it seems the guy haven't realized whats the case...

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/Sandisk-Extreme-USB-3-0-unusable-as-Windows-Install-Medium-all/m-p/293398/highlight/false#M4773

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_To_Go#Hardware_considerations

"Not just any USB drive can be used in this environment and Microsoft has set up specific testing requirements that the USB drive manufacturer must meet in order to be a supported device. Currently there are five USB Flash memory devices listed as supported by Microsoft for Windows To Go[12] :[13][14]

• Imation IronKey Workspace[15]
  • Kingston DataTraveler Workspace[16]
  • SPYRUS Portable Workplace[17][18]
  • SPYRUS Secure Portable Workplace (w/ Hardware Encryption)[19][20]
  • SuperTalent Express RC8[21]

Not "all other USB 3.0 Sticks work".

Ed

No one was talking about windows to go!!! baahhh

Greetz X23

Edited by x23piracy

Maybe so, but WOW those are expensive!  US$150 and up from what I found.

But I guess that's because it, and the others like it listed in the SanDisk quote that x23piracy referenced, are more or less SSD drives repackaged in USB key format.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

• 3 months later...

Sorry for refreshing quite old thread, but I've got similar problem. I've bought three SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 32GB at once in one shop. It looks, that at least one of them works good and one needs to be disconnected and connected again. I haven't tested the third one, yet.

I'll update my post later after making more tests. For now I can only say that they have different boxes and numbers on them.

UPDATE 1:

The BAD SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 32GB:

Box:

It has note on the front of the box in the top-right corner: 2GB FREE online storage.

It has been made in 2012. Date is visible on the back of the box in the bottom-center: 2012 SanDisk.

Address of the company: 601 McCarthy Blvd., Milpitas, CA 95035.

Pendrive:

There is only one visible difference and I think that is model number: BM121223463B.

It's seen as Removable Media in USB Prep Tool.

The GOOD SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 32GB:

Box:

It doesn't have any note in the top-right corner on the front. There is only empty space.

It has been made in 2013. Date is visible on the back of the box in the bottom-center: 2013 SanDisk.

Address of the company: 951 SanDisk Dr., Milpitas, CA 95035.

Pendrive:

Model number: BM130223463B.

It's seen as External hard disk media in USB Prep Tool.

I hope that this will help someone in the future.

Edited by CyberDe@th