I don't see my older Dell models

Rebeccah

Hi, I have a Dell Precision M4600 with Windows 7 Ultimate and a Dell Precision T5500 with Windows 7 Pro.  Both were purchased from authorized refurbishers, so I don't know if this operating system was available for them originally.  Assuming it was, though, am I correct that the original ISO image would not have had SP1?  They did come from the refurbisher with SP1.  I'm not seeing any place to download an installer for SP1 alone, now that MS is no longer supporting Windows 7.  Can I use the Windows 7 (August 2018) ISO to get the most recent updates, or do I need to use the Dell ISOs?

Also, would it be possible to add Win 10 as a second OS using one of these ISO's, or do I need to purchase a retail copy?

It's been a LONG time since I've installed an OS from installation media.

Thanks,

Rebeccah

Yes, you can use a generic Windows 7 iso, then use the drivers on the support page of your model.

Actually, you never need a custom iso.

I've installed Windows 10 on numerous M4600, so I can say for a fact that they are compatible. On Windows 10, you don't even need to install specific drivers, as Windows will automatically download them on Windows Update. Also, the iso is much easier to find. I'm very confident it's the same for the T5500.

As ooms said, the generic image will work fine.

The Dell images are nor really "custom images" either. There are only about 5 or 6 different Win 7 x64 images provided by Dell for all this multitude of models. So the image for the M4700 should work for the M4600 too, and the image for the T5510 should work for the T5500.

But if you want me to double check for images specifically for the M4600 and the T5500, just drop me a PM with the service tags, and I'll have a look (however, I suspect that these models are just a tiny bit too old for Dell to provide recovery OS downloads).

As for Win 10, I think it's still free for Win 7 users. Just give it a try. Do a clean install, and enter the Win 7 product key. The 20H2 Update will be released within a few days from now (unless MS finds some last minute showstopper again). If you want to avoid a major update sessin next week, wait for another few days.

Thanks, mooms and Jan.  I plan to upgrade my SSD to 1TB so I can do a dual-boot, and that won't be for probably another month (I'm in the middle of a couple of projects that can't be put on hold while I tinker), so the new update should be out by then. 

Good to know Win 10 runs fine on the M4600, there was some contradictory information out there on the www about that.  And it will be great if the Win 7 product key gets me free Windows 10 -- but I thought from way back when, that it was an either-or deal?  You could use the key either on Win 7 or on Win 10, but not both?  Or was that an earlier upgrade deal?  And with Win 7 no longer supported, does it matter?  It's not like I care if Win 7 updates are blocked, since there aren't any, any more.

M4600 service tag is 5691MQ1.  Express Service Code is 11261901385.

T5500 service tag is 4WLJYQ1.  Express Service Code is 10678250377.

Rebeccah

1 hour ago, Rebeccah said:

And it will be great if the Win 7 product key gets me free Windows 10 -- but I thought from way back when, that it was an either-or deal?  You could use the key either on Win 7 or on Win 10, but not both?

There's a differnce between what's allowed and what's working.

It's working if you use the same key twice on a dual boot setup. It's not allowed though.

2 hours ago, Rebeccah said:

Or was that an earlier upgrade deal?

It was the initial upgrade deal, but when I last checked a few months ago, it was still working, after all these years.

And with Win 7 no longer supported, does it matter?

I'd say no. It's almost impossible these days to buy a Win 7 license that's not pirated, and MS doesn't care. So if you use your key to upgrade to Win 10, and want to buy a new Win 7 key for your dual boot setup, you have basically two options: either spend your money on a new license and support software piracy, or don't spend money on a new license and support your own wallet. Your choice makes no difference for Microsoft.

It's not like I care if Win 7 updates are blocked, since there aren't any, any more.

That's true, but getting access to them is a different question...

M4600 service tag is 5691MQ1.  Express Service Code is 11261901385.

T5500 service tag is 4WLJYQ1.  Express Service Code is 10678250377.

As expected, no downloadable images for them.