OEM Windows XP Home Edition

cygnus

Well, I just acquired a laptop for school. It's relatively old, but, it is designed for Windows XP and it has the OEM Sticker on the bottom. But since this was a local dumpster discount, theres no discs or anything. Hell, it didn't have ram, hdd, or batter + battery door. It's a Toshiba Satellite 1400. I got it all working, and I love the little computer.

Anyway, my question is, is there anyway I can use the OEM cd key on the bottom for the install on this computer? The code obviously doesn't work on my reatial copy of XP Home Edition. So I was wondering if anyone here knew how to use the code.

If so, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D

That code is most probably for Windows XP Professional edition and you can use it since it was intented for us on that laptop.

Also, Cluberti might stop by and help you more with this issue, since he knows much more about Microsoft licensing than me..

The thing is Janice, the sticker on the bottom is for a Toshiba OEM copy of XP Home Edition. I can't use the CD key with my Retail Copy of XP Home Edition. The OEM key won't work with a Retail copy :(

The thing is Janice, the sticker on the bottom is for a Toshiba OEM copy of XP Home Edition. I can't use the CD key with my Retail Copy of XP Home Edition. The OEM key won't work with a Retail copy :(

Shouldnt it work on a fresh reformat?

Well, I just acquired a laptop for school. It's relatively old, but, it is designed for Windows XP and it has the OEM Sticker on the bottom. But since this was a local dumpster discount, theres no discs or anything. Hell, it didn't have ram, hdd, or batter + battery door. It's a Toshiba Satellite 1400. I got it all working, and I love the little computer.

Anyway, my question is, is there anyway I can use the OEM cd key on the bottom for the install on this computer? The code obviously doesn't work on my reatial copy of XP Home Edition. So I was wondering if anyone here knew how to use the code.

If so, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D

I have a Toshiba Laptop too and the key is for the Toshiba Windows XP CD. Toshiba puts a lot of crap on this CD too and you have to uninstall this later. If there is a sticker you can go to the Toshiba site and try to get a new CD for this if you can provide them with the DATAS on this Sticker :icon_cool:

You could try the OEMSCAN addons over on Siginet's site.

http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117

You'll need to provide your own OEM SLP key, NOT the key on the sticker (those are invalidated by M$). Posting SLP keys is not allowed on these websites.

Maybe a kind soul will PM you one (SLP keys are universal across product lines. Toshiba has one key for their entire product line.)

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

Shouldnt it work on a fresh reformat?

Nope, this CD Key is for an OEM version of XP, not retail.

I have a Toshiba Laptop too and the key is for the Toshiba Windows XP CD. Toshiba puts a lot of crap on this CD too and you have to uninstall this later. If there is a sticker you can go to the Toshiba site and try to get a new CD for this if you can provide them with the DATAS on this Sticker :icon_cool:

I could try this, but I'd prefer to do a fresh install hehe

You could try the OEMSCAN addons over on Siginet's site.

http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117

You'll need to provide your own OEM SLP key, NOT the key on the sticker (those are invalidated by M$). Posting SLP keys is not allowed on these websites.

Maybe a kind soul will PM you one (SLP keys are universal across product lines. Toshiba has one key for their entire product line.)

Thank you for this, I will check it all out :)

UPS, it was over midnight when I wrote this yesterday :sleeping_03anim:

lol :P

I'm very interested in this OEMACT tool on Siginet's site. I have downloaded the one for my Manufacturer, now how do I use it lol

I added it as an addon in nLite and put the CDKey from the bottom of my laptop into the unattended part. Will be trying this, hope it works :)

Thanks for the replies!

Hey

It should work if you edit the setupp.ini in the I386 folder.

Open the file and edit the last line like this:

[Pid]

ExtraData=796B796764636F63647A0E3A73E0D6

Pid=55372OEM

In the retail setupp.ini "Pid" you have to change the last three numbers to "OEM" and then the OEM key off the laptop should be accepted.

Maybe that is what Siginets Addon already did. Then it would not work too.

Maybe the oembios.xxx files have to be changed too...

I added it as an addon in nLite and put the CDKey from the bottom of my laptop into the unattended part. Will be trying this, hope it works :)

Heh, that won't work because the key you used from the sticker is decommissioned by M$, all stickers are. The only way to activate a sticker code is by phone.

• 1 month later...
Heh, that won't work because the key you used from the sticker is decommissioned by M$, all stickers are. The only way to activate a sticker code is by phone.

hes talking about installing, windows does not verify a code upon installation, only at activation ,so he'll be able to install windows.

cygnus, why dont u ask siginet?

Edited by bober

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...