how to change "Starting Windows" on boot?

crabdance

I'm not sure if that has been achived as of yet... look around on google.

If you do find out how to do it please post here again to let us know. I wouldn't mind being able to do that to my Windows 7.

I'm not sure if that has been achived as of yet... look around on google.

If you do find out how to do it please post here again to let us know. I wouldn't mind being able to do that to my Windows 7.

I will man... but it seems like it's the hardest thing on earth to find out how to do. A select few have done it, but they are not talking :)

I will man... but it seems like it's the hardest thing on earth to find out how to do. A select few have done it, but they are not talking :)

Well after me looking on google, i've found something to change the boot screen but... M$ says not to as it open security issues and possible could kill your windows if you do it wrong...

TAKE CARE!

also hope this is what your looking for...

The "starting windows" text is in winload.exe...

Problem is, after you change it and restart your computer,

windows will "fix" the file back to original state...

So evidently the file is going to have to be patched...

If I remember right..? I think theres a feature thats in Windows XP (not sure if its in Windows 7) that repears Windows features or something like that and it could be turned off...? Anyways it could be a possiblity that it is in Windows 7.

EDIT:

Ain't there a update that does this in windows xp that 'resets' the boot screen in windows xp maybe its in windows 7?

Edited by snakecracker

Well after me looking on google, i've found something to change the boot screen but... M$ says not to as it open security issues and possible could kill your windows if you do it wrong...

TAKE CARE!

also hope this is what your looking for...

Thanks for the link, but I already know how to do that. I'm trying to change the text that is in "winload.exe" where it says "Starting Windows".

The "starting windows" text is in winload.exe...

Problem is, after you change it and restart your computer,

windows will "fix" the file back to original state...

So evidently the file is going to have to be patched...

Hi Reaper, I know of other people who have done this and it sticks. Windows doesn't freak either. It does on me now because I don't have everything I need. I have the tools to change the text. What I need now is something that will digitally sign the file again or something that tells windows to ignore the security "feature".

I came across the signing software once, but forgot where I found it (I could slit my throat, lol) I also have the fix in assembly code, but it's only for x64. Nobody seems to have the assembly code for x86.

I'm almost there... just need this one last thing

Microsoft has said that they consider the boot screen and splashes part of the OS integrity check for both Win7 and Server 2008 R2.

To that end, msft will work diligently to prevent user changes to those startup sequences.

Yes, I know and understand this, but all I'm trying to do is something harmless. I'm just looking to change a "TEXT" field. I'm not looking to compromise their security. I also understand that having the ability to change the text is what MS would consider a security breach, but there are other people and companies who already know how to do this. One of these companies is an anti virus company (can't remember the name) and they have no intention of changing their practice of breaking the security of MS's low level files. MS is trying to come out with an API to allow access to these things but that's going to take a while.

Like I said.. all I want to do is change some text :)

Harmless in **your** mind. Msft has the big picture to worry about and are unlikely to issue you a free pass for what you want to do.

Yes, I understand what you are talking about. I do. And you are right, MS is not going to issue ME a free pass lol. All I'm saying is that there are a ton of people out there that already have this knowledge and I'm just looking for someone to share that. After posts like yours, I doubt that anyone will share the solution with me in public.

So if anyone has some valuable knowledge on this subject, please just send me a PM. That way any effect on such a touchy subject will be kept to a minimum.

Thanks

edit: there are NOT tons of people who know how to do this... there are a select few who have figured it out. Sorry... didn't mean to over do it.

Edited by crabdance

Well, i dont know what you all are talking about ??! It's very easy:

To have 'Starting Windows' message translated also, here's how to do it:

open elevated CMD and do these 2 commands ;) :

bcdedit /set {current} locale en-us

bcdboot %WinDir% /l en-us

Restart your machine and that's it. Put your language in "en-us" (like ru-ru and so )

Edited by Dissscount

Well, i dont know what you all are talking about ??! It's very easy:

To have 'Starting Windows' message translated also, here's how to do it:

open elevated CMD and do these 2 commands ;) :

bcdedit /set {current} locale en-us

bcdboot %WinDir% /l en-us

Restart your machine and that's it. Put your language in "en-us" (like ru-ru and so )

Thanks for your reply but we actually want to use custom text like reaper said. And secondly it is not an easy task as no one has done this successfully till date. We know how to do this but we don't know how to patch winload.exe as MS has digitally signed this file. If we change this file and replace it without signing or patching OS would be dead, it will not boot at all.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are still searching for the solution, here is the solution. You don't need any third party application to change the text. Just mount Boot.wim and search for the Winload.exe.mui (not Winload.exe)and search for the text "starting Windows" I don't remember the exact location of the text I would update my post and will let you know the exact location of the text, as currently I am at office and here I have XP. I have successfully changed that text and that too without using any third party application, like bootupdater.

But this would be visible only once when you start your windows installation, if you wish to change the text which can be visible for all time your boot your system, you have to use Bootupdater.

Enjoy....................

Edited by nice_guy75

• 3 weeks later...