New to this tool.

gizmo198128

Hi All I'm new to using W7Toolkit.

I was wondering if any of you have any presets for making a super slimmed down win7 ultimate iso.

I did try to look through the forums but couldn't find anything related to what I need.

I'm unsure as to what services I can disable safely that aren't needed aswell as what components I can/cannot remove.

Ideally I need windows 7 to be as stable as it can be, with Aero and media player and internet but without the bloatware that MS added.

I know I can remove natural language and media centre for a quick trim but I'd like to know how much more I can remove without making the OS unstable.

Thanks again all for your help.

The only presets for making a slimmed OS are the Blackviper Services presets. Besides that, everything is manual so you can trim it down to your specific needs.

Under "Component Removal", the options in green are considered "safe" to remove...and there are quite a lot of them.

You can also mount the image to a directory and manually remove things such as system files, etc. For example, I removed all the unnecessary fonts from my image...taking the Fonts folder down to a mere 46MB.

Just experiment and see how far you can take it.

From my experience, it seems that the push to slim the OS install has waned in the last several years as CPU speed has increased, memory and disc drive size has increased, and price has decreased. As the parts of the OS have gotten more and more interwoven, the risk of taking something out now that you might find you want or need later, or having something break in an unexpected way has also increased. It is much safer, and I know that Kel agrees with me, to just disable the services you don't need to keep them from running. If you find you need it later, all you have to do is enable it again and you're in business. If you slim the install by taking things out, if you find you need it later, most of the time you CAN NOT just add it back in. You'll have to redo your build and start completely over from scratch with an untouched source. There are ways to silm the OS, and I'm sure there are specific instances where it might be of some benefit, but it is not for the faint of heart, nor for a first time builder. But if you have experience, it can be done. Others may disagree, but I personally do not recommend it.

Cheers and Regards

I agree with bphlpt but adminxp your making a very large assumption when calling some one a noob and you shouldn't assume what someone is thinking.

I have done more slim down XP setups for special apps than you can imagine and although it would be nice to have one for 7 I would just go the services route now due to the exact reasons that have been mentioned and also my inexperience with 7 and what does and does not work.

bphlpt - absolutely right!

only unskilled and unexpirienced user will want to slim his OS by removing serviced or other parts.

they think system speed can be increased after this))))))) noobs.

I agree with bphlpt but adminxp your making a very large assumption when calling some one a noob and you shouldn't assume what someone is thinking.

I have done more slim down XP setups for special apps than you can imagine and although it would be nice to have one for 7 I would just go the services route now due to the exact reasons that have been mentioned and also my inexperience with 7 and what does and does not work.

i cant imagine - i dont know. i did many XP builds by myself - no sence in removing parts of the OS. - just turn off them (stop services, remove from autoload).

u destroy any things u dont need right now, or just put them in closet in real life? haa-ha.

i assume man as noob as i see he is not enough smart to do serious changes, that he could not revert later.

p.s. many OS builds (xp,7) are from noobies in internet - some ppl download them and having unpredictable complex problems, which cannot be fixed or hardly fixed (easier to reinstall OS in 95% cases).

Edited by adminxp

Hi,

I reaize this might be a silly question but how do I go back edit an image I have saved? For example, I want to go back and add some themes or wallpapers and make additional registry tweaks. When I go back to do that, I have to remove all of the components over again and go through the whole entire process just to make my changes.

I searched around quite a bit but never found a solution. Do I need to uncheck/check some option in W7T?

Thanks,

-Digital

Hi,

I reaize this might be a silly question but how do I go back edit an image I have saved? For example, I want to go back and add some themes or wallpapers and make additional registry tweaks. When I go back to do that, I have to remove all of the components over again and go through the whole entire process just to make my changes.

I searched around quite a bit but never found a solution. Do I need to uncheck/check some option in W7T?

Thanks,

-Digital

after saving image w7t doesnt know what was done with it anymore. so u cant back edit as u want.