[Repak] KB931125 Windows Root Certificate (March)

ricktendo

This repackage is KB931125 a.k.a. Windows Root Certificate, I repacked to removed the following files:

ADVPACK.DLLW95INF16.DLLW95INF32.DLL

Root Update Package (intended for Windows XP only)

For users who are running Windows XP, the root update package will update the list of root certificates on your computer to the list that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate Program. The file is updated periodically to add or remove root certificates or CAs from distribution by the Program.

Download: http://adf.ly/1713566/rootsupd

MD5: f19d04f06d1dfc626e7d4539244fd8f6

Size: 387 KB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've looked inside the package but I'm still unsure, and a little confused about this repak. Does [Repak] KB931125 Windows Root Certificate include [Repak] KB2728973 Revoked Root Certificate, or is it the other way around or neither?

I'm considering integrating these into my Windows 7 SP1 x64 WIM, however I would like to be clear if I need to integrate just KB931125 or both to be Up2Date, any insight would be much appreciated.

EDIT :: Never mind, I got it sorted out. Thanks for this addon. For anyone else who might be wondering KB931125 (rootsupd.exe) is XP only.

Edited by dotfusion

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Question: you had somewhere (probably at ryanvm, I can't remember) a single installer with both updated roots and also revoked roots combined. It was great for xp + nlite... can you please make an updated installer for it and post it in the first post? Thanks :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Correct, the kb article mentions this

Windows Vista and Windows 7
Root certificates on Windows Vista and later versions are distributed through the automatic root update mechanism. That is, they are distributed through the root certificate. When a user goes to a secure website (by using HTTPS SSL), reads a secure email message (S/MIME), or downloads an ActiveX control that is signed (code signing), and then encounters a new root certificate, the Windows certificate chain verification software checks Microsoft Update for the root certificate. If the software finds the root certificate, the software downloads the current Certificate Trust List (CTL). The CTL contains the list of all trusted root certificates in the program and verifies that the root certificate is listed there. Then, it downloads the specified root certificate to the system and installs the certificate in the Windows Trusted Root Certification Authorities Store. If the root certificate is not found, the certificate chain is not completed, and the system returns an error.
To the user, a successful root update is seamless. The user does not see any security dialog boxes or warnings. The download happens automatically. In addition, for Windows Vista and later versions, client SKUs support weekly pre-fetching from Microsoft Update to check for updated root certificate properties (for example, extended validation (EV), code signing, or server authentication properties [that is, certificate properties that are added to a root certificate]).
For detailed technical information about how Windows updates root certificates in Windows Vista and in later versions, go to the following website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749331(WS.10).aspx

Now and then Microsoft will mess up (or there is a compromised cert), they will offer it or the revoked certs to Widows 7 users via windows update