Legolash2o

Win Toolkit Programmer

• Global Mods
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Source

Basic Description

General Distribution Release
GDR packages contain only security and critical stability issue fixes. These are usually released via Windows Update.

Limited Distribution Release
LDR packages contain "other" fixes that have not undergone as extensive testing, and resolve issues that only a fraction of the millions of Windows users might ever encounter. You usually request these from the Microsoft website but they're mostly found in SoLoR Updates.

Quick Fix Engineering
QFE is the old name for LDR (above).

How are they installed differently?
  • At the end of the day, if you have LDR/QFE Mode enabled it will install LDR Mode if the update has that option regardless if its cab or an msu file.
MSU Files
*.msu files will get installed normally using the command below.
pkgmgr.exe/norestart /ip /o:"C:\W7T\Mount;C:\W7T\Mount\Windows"  /m:"UpdateLocation\update.msu" /quiet

If you have LDR/QFE Mode enabled then the *.cab file is extracted and the below (CAB Files) method is then applied to the newly extract cab file.

CAB Files
Normally *.cab updates have a file called 'update.mum' but LDR updates also have a file called 'update-bf.mum', if the 'update-bf.mum' is not detected W7T will install cab files normally. Cab files are usually extract from the msu file or when a user has used 'MSU to CAB Converter'
pkgmgr.exe/norestart /ip /o:"C:\W7T\Mount;C:\W7T\Mount\Windows"  /m:"CABLocation" /quiet

If, however the update-bf.mum has been located it will extract the cab to a temp folder and install both *.mum files like so:
pkgmgr.exe/norestart /ip /o:"C:\W7T\Mount;C:\W7T\Mount\Windows"  /m:"ExtractCABTemp\\Update.mum" /quiet
pkgmgr.exe/norestart /ip /o:"C:\W7T\Mount;C:\W7T\Mount\Windows"  /m:"ExtractCABTemp\\Update-bf.mum" /quiet

That's it.

Full Description
Spoiler

Edited by Legolash2o, 31 March 2012 - 01:21 PM.

• alfreire likes this

#2 ulysse

ulysse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Very good description, although there is one question left : What happens if I use MSU>CAB Convert prior to integrating the converted hotfixes with AIO Tool? Will it still integrate the LDR branches (if the option is checked, of course)?

Edited by ulysse, 31 March 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#3 Legolash2o

Legolash2o

Win Toolkit Programmer

• Global Mods
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Check the first post, in your case it would get treated as a cab file.

#4 ulysse

ulysse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

OK thanks, but I am still not sure I understand...

Does this mean that people who want the LDR branches to be integrated should not convert to MSU to CAB any longer?
I always used to convert the MSU files to CAB because I read that it would save time when running the integration.

#5 Legolash2o

Legolash2o

Win Toolkit Programmer

• Global Mods
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

Well MSU to CAB Converter extracts the cab file from the msu, so the 'CAB Files' part of the first post still applies. And yes, i recommend using cab files if you want faster integration.

At the end of the day, if you have LDR/QFE Mode enabled it will install LDR Mode if the update has that option regardless if its cab or an msu file.

Edited by Legolash2o, 31 March 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#6 ulysse

ulysse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

That's what I wanted to know ;)
Thanks

#7 graybags

graybags

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

So, if I read it correctly, the Solor updates aren't the critical updates, just the "other" types of update? I just assumed that the Solor updates *were* the critical ones, so I downloaded the SP1 iso via WinKit, integrated the Solor updates and found I had 68 or something updates to still install... I really should read through these forums more :)

What resources do people here use to download a complete hotfix pack of all the critical updates? I might be simplifying things far too much, but all I want to do is download the iso, integrate a whole bunch of patches and when I check Windows Update it will say "No updates"! If such a complete pack is indeed out there could Winkit link to it, just as it does the Solor ones?

Graybags

#8 sigbin

sigbin

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

which will be the best to integrate if your concerned of image size?

#9 Legolash2o

Legolash2o

Win Toolkit Programmer

• Global Mods
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

GDR

#10 sigbin

sigbin

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:59 AM

GDR

sorry i think i was not clear of my question... i was asking between cab and msu

#11 Legolash2o

Legolash2o

Win Toolkit Programmer

• Global Mods
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

CAB should be quicker (less extracting)  :)

#12 bphlpt

bphlpt

WinCert Dominator

• Global Mods
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

I wouldn't think there would be any difference at all to image size, only in time to build it as Lego stated.

Cheers and Regards

#13 Legolash2o

Legolash2o

Win Toolkit Programmer

• Global Mods
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

Oh yeah, the image size would be the same but using LDR mode would make the image bigger than using default GDR mode.

• sigbin likes this

#14 bphlpt

bphlpt

WinCert Dominator

• Global Mods
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

Quite true since there are more LDR updates than GDR ones.

Cheers and Regards

#15 sigbin

sigbin

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:05 AM

i see... the difference between them in integrating to image is the speed... i thought when you convert the msu updates file to cab the image size will shrink to a few percent... i was making an updated AiO image that will be able to fit in a 4.7gb dvd... 

#16 bphlpt

bphlpt

WinCert Dominator

• Global Mods
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:12 AM

The "source" file for the update will be different sizes depending on whether it is .cab, .msu, or whatever.  The "source" files are just a distribution container, the files inside that container are the same.  If you were distributing a DVD full of updates, then I think your understanding would be correct.  But if I understand the process correctly, once you have installed/integrated that update into your updated AIO OS build, then those updates are all expanded/stripped out of their containers and either replace existing files or are stored in a "install pending" location.  In either case, I believe that the format used inside the OS to store those files is independent of the format of the "source" file.  I could be wrong, but that is the way I understand it.

Cheers and Regards

• sigbin likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: v1.4.0.3, GDR, LDR, QFE, Updates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users