Microsoft introduces Advanced Windows Settings
The latest preview of the Dev Home App for Windows 11 provides several new features that should simplify the coding experience for developers. However, Microsoft aims to additionally enhance this app by introducing “Advanced Windows Settings,” which offers some extra options and preferences.
Microsoft has shared this concept on the GitHub repository of Dev Home, asking for feedback and ideas from users regarding the options or features that should be integrated into “Advanced Windows Settings.” The announcement confirms that developers often want to modify settings or registry keys that are inaccessible through the Settings app or hard to discover within the operating system.
The main purpose of “Advanced Windows Settings” is to grant developers and regular Windows users better control over their computers. It should provide access to new or experimental features for developer workflows and present features that can enhance overall user experiences.
Microsoft said that “Advanced Windows Settings” is not intended to replace existing options and features found in Settings | System | For Developers or other parts of the app. Its primary objectives are the following:
- Provide developers with more control over system settings and advanced features.
- Assist developers in discovering powerful settings that should improve daily workflows and machine performance.
- Create a consistent user interface for managing and customizing new developer experiences on Windows, like Native File Explorer, and Version Control integration.
- Collaborate with the developer community to identify additional settings that could be useful and integrated into the tool.
- Ensure easy scripting and re-applying of settings for both new and existing machines.