Weblinks infected

Adhater

Hi!

Somehow WinToolkit must have been the victim of a malware/adware infection. I just downloaded the latest version, and alle the www links inside the program (like those in the "Downloads" menu) lead to ad-infected pages, not to the ones they should.

Regards,

Adhater

I went to http://www.wincert.net/forum/files/ and used the "Download" button, which links to a file "WinToolkit_1.5.4.4.7z", with a size of 10.256.282 bytes, containing a file named WinToolkit.exe. When I try to go to any of the links in the "Downloads" menu of the program, i. e. the pages to download the Windows ISO files, the browser tries to open a page which most propably just contains ads (URL looks like adf.ly or something alike, I closed it immediately) instead to the Microsoft page with the ISO file(s). The same happens when I try to go to the Firefox download page.

Somehow someone stupid but greedy (does (s)he think this will not be noticed?) must have been able to replace the 7z-file on your server or something else.

Regards,

Adhater

Well, I am sorry to hear that. 

I have noticed that our members are using adfly to generate revenue for their hard work. As I don't really have anything against that, I do not support warez links for sure. I can only contact author of the WinToolkit to remove those links.

Once again, sorry for this.

Nik

Does that mean that these ad-infected links are there by purpose of the original developer(s)? Oh my, if someone wants to earn money with his software, (s)he should plainly sell it instead of infecting it with ads! I would not give such things a place in my forum.

Anyway, thanks for your effort, Nik.

Using the "Downloads" from inside of your WinToolkit application to access - let's say ISO's,
-> in an unregistered state -> ad.fly redirection is enabled.
Once you have registered your copy of WinToolkit - those ad.fly redirects go away.

However, ad.fly is just a 5 second advertising placeholder (watch the countdown at the top-right of your page).
Once it hits "0" - you can proceed to the initial target.

This is common practice and has nothing to do with malware or infected code.

2 hours ago, nonspin said:

Using the "Downloads" from inside of your WinToolkit application to access - let's say ISO's,
-> in an unregistered state -> ad.fly redirection is enabled.
Once you have registered your copy of WinToolkit - those ad.fly redirects go away.

However, ad.fly is just a 5 second advertising placeholder (watch the countdown at the top-right of your page).
Once it hits "0" - you can proceed to the initial target.

This is common practice and has nothing to do with malware or infected code.

Thanks for clarification nonspin. :)

Sorry for interrupting here, but redirecting to ad-sites is *not* "common practice"! It is bad style. If you want to make money with your program, then sell it.

And as enough malware infections came in under the radar as ads, one can rightfully call that malware. Even more so, when you expect to be lead to a download page, not one filled with rubbish.

just my 2 cents ...

Oshi

The 2nd version I'm working in around my coursework won't have any ads and will be available to buy. I used to use one of those crappy installers to earn some extra cash but people didn't like it and neither did I as sometimes it could also instead bloat. The company I used didn't always check the software they was provided so it HAD to go.

Since then, I decided to just have a 5 second advert. I make nowhere as much money but I'm happy with that as long as I aint bloating up peoples computers.