(IMPORTANT) Please move by default to the silent area

RicaNeaga

Some hotfixes are problematic for various reasons. ALL should be moved to silent area by default, I don't think it's a good idea to keep debating about this / to keep getting errors and believe that something can be made to make them integratable, just because we are set on integrating them.

The simplest way is usually the best way, so if installing them at first logon, instead of integrating them, spares us of some serious headaches, then why not?

There are 3 categories of hotfixes that can generate various issues:

1. RDP 8.0 / RDC 8.1 related hotfixes:

KB2574819-v2, KB2857650, KB2592687, KB2862019 and KB2830477.

However, there's a catch - KB2830477 NEEDS KB2857650 to be installed before it (since it is its prerequisite), so when added to the silent area, KB2830477 NEEDS to be always installed last at first logon, so naming it by default (the app I mean, to make the whole process idiot-proof) with a z before it, or just making some kind of postrequisites area also for silent installers in AIO, that is reserved (for now) for KB2830477, would be the best idea.

2. This month's problematic KB2895729-v2, because it needs KB2533552 and KB2862330-v2 installed before it (prerequisites, read the linked KB article if you have doubts). And since KB2533552 is not integratable, that makes ALL of them not integratable.

3. KB2685811 and KB2685813 (KMDF and UMDF 1.11 updates) - there were reports on them generating explorer issues when integrated, and right now (when integrated) they may generate continuous windows update errors when the ''windows update cleanup'' option is used from Disk Cleanup utility from windows (via KB2852386).

So not only KB2533552 and KB2603229 should be moved to the silent installers area, but also all the bolded hotfixes / updates from above. Legolash, please don't shoot the messenger, really, it's Microsoft's fault!!! :(

LE: The title of the thread should be more clear, please rename the thread to smth like ''(IMPORTANT) Please move by default to the silent installers area in AIO''

Edited by RicaNeaga

Same for me!

Until 1.4.1.27 I didn' have such conflicts.

RN,

if I remeber well you integrate ALL KBs (if I see, how big is your updates-repository), not only those requested by WU:

may be the problems are not generated directly by WTK, don't you mean?

KB2533552 and KB2603229

I never had them under updates, because they have been always requested by WU, even if I integrated them.

This KB has not been requested by WU.

Thiersee

Edited by Thiersee

No, not all problems are related to Win Toolkit, only 1. (RDP / RDC 8.1 8.1).

KB2895729 is a january update, you can find it via WHD or later today in my archives. About problems with it, just read the KB article and / or the repository thread from here.

For KB2685811 and KB2685813, this is a historycal issues, the ''windows explorer issue'', was first reported ~a year ago, when those two hotfixes were launched. And there's also the WU Cleanup issues that also mooms mentioned.

Legolash, please don't shoot the messenger, really, it's Microsoft's fault!!!  :(

Also, there is a fourth category, a little optional, but still...

4. Two more updates belong to the silent installers area:

KB943790 - Win Toolkit / DISM has troubles integrating it; however, it's a feature update, and not really that important

KB947821 - it's a tool that verifies everything is ok with the installed updates, so it's logical that it runs during first logon AFTER all other updates were installed.

Thanx to OP I just made a successful iso that installed without any error I used to have described here http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/11791-maybe-bug-with-the-runonce-installer/

OP means original poster? That's me, right? Or... ? :)

In this case you'd better leave a note there, so you can help Lego close (as solved) that thread... I'll leave one now, just so you know in the future :)

Thanx to OP I just made a successful iso that installed without any error I used to have described here http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/11791-maybe-bug-with-the-runonce-installer/

OP means original poster? That's me, right? Or... ? :)

In this case you'd better leave a note there, so you can help Lego close (as solved) that thread... I'll leave one now, just so you know in the future :)

Yeah that is you :-)

Thanx, I'll keep that in mind :-)

Nope the NSIS error seems independent of the RDP related hotfixes, from what Thiersee says here. I didn't got that error. For him the solution was to go back to 1.4.1.29.

But I still think all the above mentioned hotfixes / updates must be added to silent installers area. Again, these are:

1. RDP 8.0 / RDC 8.1 related hotfixesKB2574819-v2, KB2857650, KB2592687, KB2862019 and KB2830477.

2.  KB2895729-v2, because it needs KB2533552 (not integratable) and KB2862330-v2 as prerequisites

3. KB2685811 and KB2685813

4. KB947821

with the mention that KB2830477 and KB947821 need to be integrated last. First one because it needs KB2857650 as a prerequisite (that has a higher KB number, so normally, in alphabetical order, is installed after KB2830477), and the second one because it's an app that verifies that all updates were integrated / installed ok, so it's logical to be the last.

Not to mention its enormous size, KB947821 should not be used offline at all (integrated or silent install), it's ment only for verifying Online system Updates and Packages

Then when should KB947821 be used by anybody? Only when problems with arise? I then don't understand its usefullness...

I thought it also has a check funtion, like it says in its KB article, so I thought it was recommended for it to run after everything is integrated and installed.

The System Update Readiness Tool verifies the integrity of the following resources:

• Files that are located in the following directories:
    • %SYSTEMROOT%\Servicing\Packages
    • %SYSTEMROOT%\WinSxS\Manifests
  • Registry data that is located under the following registry subkeys:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Components
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Schema
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing
This list may be updated at any time.

When the System Update Readiness Tool detects incorrect manifests, Cabinets, or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with a corrected version.

For everything, alphebetical order is ok, so no other thing is needed. Just make sure KB2830477 and KB947821 are added / installed last :)

And you've forgot in your above post, Lego, most importantly aboul KB2895729, and also about KB2685811 and KB2685813.

KB2533552

KB2574819

KB2592687

KB2603229

KB2685811

KB2685813

KB2857650

KB2862019

KB2862330

KB2895729  

KB2830477

KB947821

LE: I also added KB2603229 to the above list, the other ''historycal'' non-integratable update besides KB2533552, so you can have a ''full map'' of everything that goes into the silent area in AIO :)

Edited by RicaNeaga

Hi Lego,

I do NOT agree with moving

KB2574819

KB2685811

KB2685813

KB2862330

to the silent installer (1.4.30.21, release and upwards).

I had NEVER issues with this updates!

But I don't use a full update-repository (like from RicaNeaga or McRip or WHD, for example), I use ONLY the updates WU is asking for after installation of an untouched

Win7 SP1 (like Mooms, for example) and I think the problems with this updates are related to other integrated KBs that are NOT asked from WU.

I think it would be better for all, if you build in the possibility under "Updates+Languages" to move manually some updates to the silent-installers

(in addition to Move Selected to 'Prerequisites', 'Updates', 'Internet Explorer' on right-clicking).

Thiersee

You got it all wrong, Thiersee. This option was made for people who don't want to complicate their lives / people that don't want to know much about what update goes where.

So I'dd change your request the other way aroud, if someone is stubborn enough and wants to move an update from silent installers to updates in AIO, to have an option to do so. But by default, all those updates to go to silent installers. :)

RN,

I'm not stubborn and respect opinion from others people, but you have not the right to pretend, your opinion ist the only right one :ranting:!

If you have problems with those updates, if integrated, it doesn't mean all people must have the same problems.

BTW, your proposal for the opposit direction (move back to updates) is OK.

Thiersee

RN,

I'm not stubborn and respect opinion from others people, but you have not the right to pretend, your opinion ist the only right one  :ranting:!

If you have problems with those updates, if integrated, it doesn't mean all people must have the same problems.

BTW, your proposal for the opposit direction (move back to updates) is OK.

Thiersee

I don't think that my opinion is the only one, quite contrary, if it were up to me I wouldn't insist on maiking those updates non integratable, because I already made a folder for them and always add them as silent installer.

My request is for people that don't know those updates can generate issues. And great you agree fith my proposal / restatement of your request. I'll put in the request subforum for you, smth like this... :)

if someone wants to move an update from silent installers to updates in AIO, to have an option to do so. But by default, all those mentioned here updates go to silent installers. 

@ RicaNeaga

This

...if someone is stubborn enough and wants to move an...

is a deliberate insult to people with their experience in installing and configurating machines.

wela

But what if I said like others on a thread - ''I don't believe / I'm not interested this issue is happening to you or other people. To me it's not happening, so change it back bla bla". Then this wouldn't be an insult for the one that posted the issue in the first place?

Don't try to be a flamer with me, I'm really not interested in internet egos. :)

Just being Devil's advocate ...

It seems to me that if integrating certain updates cause some users problems, but other user's are able to integrate them with no problems at all, such as Thiersee, wela, and mooms - all users with experience so I completely believe their results, then, no disrespect intended at all RicaNeaga, I have to agree that the problems with those updates are related to other integrated KBs, or at least an interaction between them. While I understand your logic that if they are causing anyone any problems that we can just move them to runonce where they won't cause anyone any difficulties, and it does seem a more fail safe solution, it would be ideal if that move only occurred if whatever causes the interactions was also included, if we can figure out what that is.

Cheers and Regards

I'm currently integrating all of the updates. If an update which normally gets moved to the silent installers go green, they will stay in the updates list by default.

i had many issues with final image - OS installation failed everytime, because some of the updates caused errors - i lost more than 2 weeks on trying to locate "bad" updates.

So I totaly support RicaNiaga and bphlpt last message.

No problems during integration does not garantee successfull installation at all.