Windows 7 Toolkit v1.3.0 ALPHA

Legolash2o

Unfortunately, the same slowdown with mounting/unmounting is manifesting with build 37 as with build 36 (and previous) on my system. It's not related with imagex x64, since the slowdown is the same either with imagex x86, either with imagex x64. I dunno how I can help, the behaviour is just the same, so please see my previous screenshots.

It's only frustrating for an old user, who knows your app can be a little quicker, but for a new user is A-OK. Heck, rt7lite is much more slower and much more problematic. So if you can't fix it back, it's no biggie. :)

I'll be back tommorow with some requests after further testing your app. ;)

Edited by RicaNeaga

Update: I couldn't find out what was causing the slowdown, i've checked and it uses the same cold as in v21 however as soon as i turned my anti virus off the mount process zoomed and mounted the image very very quickly.

In case you wondering what im using it's Microsoft Security Essentials.

I've always found that doing any kind of build, regardless of what tool you use to do it, goes much quicker and more reliably with anti-malware tools temporarily disabled. I don't think it's easily possible, if at all, if it is please relocate this post to a request thread, but it's a shame you can't provide an option to temporarily disable the anti-malware for the user automatically. If nothing else, perhaps a popup at build start suggesting the user do that, and another one at the end reminding them to turn it back on?

Cheers and Regards

I've just added anti-virus detection, but it will only work on Windows Vista SP1+

Also if W7T detected an anti-virus when W7T opened and when you close W7T with the antivirus turned off, it will remind you to turn it back on.

Edited by Legolash2o

All I can say is WOW! I am not sure what you did with version 37a, but it's performance increased by a lot. You may have also fixed the "doing another task" freeze ups I was having. I was busy doing other things (not playing any games this time), and W7T went on through without a hitch. I will let you know if the 'freeze' problem returns, but keep up the great work!

SORRY for my last reply, I found out what was the external factor that made win7 toolkit much slower (I considered all the software possibilities - i don't use an antivirus at all, even reinstalled windows, after reading the feedback) - it was a hardware problem. I forgot I tested various SATA controllers, and I've left my SSD on the Marvell port. After switching back to the Intel port, win7 toolkit is BLAZING fast again! :doh: :dancing:

It eludes me why this really strange behaviour is happening on the Marvell port... perhaps the Marvell driver has some poor performance figures regarding disk caching... because in all the banchmarks the performance wasn't so terrifying.

I'll post some request shortly... I hope they'll catch the 1.3.0 beta train. And thank you very much for your great app support. :)

Edited by RicaNeaga

All I can say is WOW! I am not sure what you did with version 37a, but it's performance increased by a lot. You may have also fixed the "doing another task" freeze ups I was having. I was busy doing other things (not playing any games this time), and W7T went on through without a hitch. I will let you know if the 'freeze' problem returns, but keep up the great work!

http://www.wincert.n...dpost__p__75736

I have added 1 line of code every so often which removes W7T unused memory. In some cases like SoLoR Updates, they had a 1200% decrease in memory usage. i.e. 24Mb RAM to just 2MB ram, sometimes it actually went down to 900KB lol.

SORRY for my last reply, I found out what was the external factor that made win7 toolkit much slower (I considered all the software possibilities - i don't use an antivirus at all, even reinstalled windows, after reading the feedback) - it was a hardware problem. I forgot I tested various SATA controllers, and I've left my SSD on the Marvell port. After switching back to the Intel port, win7 toolkit is BLAZING fast again! :doh: :dancing:

It eludes me why this really strange behaviour is happening on the Marvell port... perhaps the Marvell driver has some poor performance figures regarding disk caching... because in all the banchmarks the performance wasn't so terrifying.

I'll post some request shortly... I hope they'll catch the 1.3.0 beta train. And thank you very much for your great app support. :)

problem is i was also having massive slowdowns but that was due to my antivirus.

Edited by Legolash2o

I get "Universal Theme Patcher" - "Please right click this program and run as administrator" dialog during "Completing installation"

RT7LitePILaunch.exe and mscorsvw.exe seem to take 100% cpu usage and the desktop doesn't show after 15min. (after killing explorer.exe and restarting it I get "personalized settings" and a desktop.

Edited by GieltjE

I get "Universal Theme Patcher" - "Please right click this program and run as administrator" dialog during "Completing installation"

I'm checking this now.

RT7LitePILaunch.exe and mscorsvw.exe seem to take 100% cpu usage and the desktop doesn't show after 15min. (after killing explorer.exe and restarting it I get "personalized settings" and a desktop.

RT7Lite is a completely different program and created by a different person. That may be the thing causing your Universal Theme Patcher error.

Edited by Legolash2o

I'm checking this now.

RT7Lite is a completely different program and created by a different person.

I used RT7lite to remove the screensavers etc, I shall skip that step and retry (complete clean image, could take a while).

Did I miss the settings for TaskbarSmallIcons & never combine?

Edited by GieltjE

What do you mean?

Are there tweaks for "use small icons in the taskbar" & "never combine icons in the taskbar" (if I missed those I am getting blind):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\TaskbarSmallIcons --> 1 for small

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\TaskbarGlomLevel --> 00000002 for never combine

edit: Legolash2o, Done, thanks for the effort.

Edited by GieltjE

TaskbarSmallIcons No, i do have "Start_LargeMFUIcons" ("Use small icons on Start Menu")

TaskbarGlomLevel - Limited to DWORD 1

Feel free to stick something in the request sub-forum though :) At this minute in time i'm just waiting for bug reports/logs before i continue with the requests which shouldn't take long :D

Edited by Legolash2o

I'm checking this now.

VirtualBox has finished and it worked and patched files with no issues. It may be related to RT7Lite, personally i have never really used it.

Edited by Legolash2o

VirtualBox has finished and it worked and patched files with no issues. It may be related to RT7Lite, personally i have never really used it.

I'll build a new image soon, all these patches take some time (I guess RT7Lite shouldn't be used, the project appears dead and has some major flaws).

Yeah i keep hearing about RT7Lite that i's bloated, slow, dead and buggy lol. There has been times when W7T is buggy :)

Buggy shouldn't be a problem if there are patches, but RT7Lite keeps promising a great new version, which by now is multiple months overdue (a shame if you ask me for non-tech-savy people it was a simple usable tool).

If the next version can create a better unattended (just confirmed autounattended.xml see my other post) & more removal it beats RT7lite in all fields (have been using it for a long time).

@GieltjE

Forget Win7lite from the Rockers Team. Bensam56 has not been in the forum since many month. there has not been any update or bugfix since Dec 2010.

The new version 3.0 will never appear! Only promises which will never come true.

Win 7 Toolkit is much better. The only thing which is not integrated is the SP1-Integration, but I have a Tech-Image.

The latest version "All-in-One" doesn't lock the "Component removal" tab when it is running.

Postscriptum: is it possible to (gu)estimate how much space each removal would provide? That way hopefully people won't go off and just remove everything and break everything that easily.

Edited by GieltjE

The latest version "All-in-One" doesn't lock the "Component removal" tab when it is running.

Postscriptum: is it possible to (gu)estimate how much space each removal would provide? That way hopefully people won't go off and just remove everything and break everything that easily.

Thanks, will fix (EDIT: Fixed). The other thing is a request and needs to go in the request forum :P

The downloadlink to mediafire does not run !?!

It seems their system is on & off every few minutes. Though a backup host/mirror could be helpful.

This will be the new link: http://www.wincert.n...dows-7-toolkit/

Edited by Legolash2o